Nurdin Merali Jiwa
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Nurdin Merali Jiwa|
|Place of birth||Mombasa|
- Akberali Merali Jiwa 1908
Born in Mombasa
Akberali Merali Jiwa(Born in 1908 Tanga).
by Shenaz Jeraj, Edmonton, AB, August 11, 2011
- Dad was more of an entrepreneur and started playing with chemistry sets that got him into making medicine for insect/snake bites, etc. ; dad started making a few bucks on his homemade medicine
- British law in East Africa curtailed Dad's plans to make homemade medicine as it required a professional Pharmacy designation
- Dad switched to making ink and erasers as a result, which got him into the Stationery business that grew and lasted until we left
- Grandfather’s connections with the Europeans assisted in getting clients with Smith McKenzie, Barclays Bank, Amboni Estates, etc.
- Dad went to Heidelberg often to purchase the latest in Offset Printing equipment
- While in Europe, a trip to Cologne and Paris got him into the perfume business that Sultan Chacha ran
- With Kabir Uncle in London since 1959 and Dad purchasing a home for him and us, meant we could go study in England and be back, which many of my uncles and aunts did
- The 10 children in order are: Kabir, Malek, Nurdin, Gulshan, Sadru, Sultan, Farida, Firoz, Anise and Shaukat; there are many grandchildren and now great, great grandchildren
Dad did a lot of Seva:
- Social Welfare member on the council;
- built JK (project managed),
- built Widow Flats, built the cemetery,
- built duplexes for the needy in the Jamat,
- started Ismailia Corporation which guaranteed 6% savings interest and a loan program, etc.